Optical character recognition technology is a computer program that recognizes the characters that make up an image and makes them comprehensible to a computer. The main application of this technology is usually the digitization of texts, but it is very useful for the recognition of information in sectors such as surveillance and live casino. In terms of digitizing documents, optical character recognition is a great advantage for companies that, instead of storing a large volume of papers in a physical space, can store their documents in the cloud and access them from anywhere.
Applications of Optical Character Recognition technologyThemost important application of Optical Character Recognition technology is in the scanning of text. Basically, OCR technology recognizes all the characters that make up written text, such as handwritten or typed words and numbers, and processes them through a mobile device's camera into files that can even be edited later.
Its main advantage in the digitization of texts is that it avoids the errors that could be made in the case of manual transcription of the documents:
- Live casinos: This is the case, for example, of the live roulette in Leovegas whose software records the croupier's movements and the game components, such as the ball's movement, and is capable of processing them so that they reach the user on the other side of his mobile device in real time. It is precisely the optical character recognition that allows the live casino to develop in a very similar way to the traditional casino.
- Automatic license plate recognition: In the field of surveillance, optical character recognition allows the recognition of license plates through radars that locate the relevant information in highly variable conditions. These radars are mainly used on routes to control in transit, in service stations, in access and exit control of parking lots and at crossings between neighbouring countries.
How this technology works Whileit is capable of analysing and processing information in a matter of seconds, the operation of OCR is quite complex. In general terms, this technology is able to identify the pixels that make up any image and process them so that they are stored in digital format.
At the same time, it also allows the search for words for better data handling and the most advanced software even allows voice dictation for subsequent conversion to text.
What are the advantages for companies?Since companies are the most frequent users of this type of technology, the business sector is the one that benefits most from optical character recognition. Among the main advantages of its application in the digitalization of documents, we can mention
- Saving time due to their fast digitalization.
- Increased productivity related to the search for documents, files and archives.
- Saving of money spent on paper and storage places.
- Automation of processes that were done manually.